It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:10 pm
Change font size
Blogging Underground Members Forum A place for BU Members to talk about MARKETING and TOP RANKINGS!

Keyword Research

Phrase to Broad Ratio

About keyword research and the Blogging Underground spreadsheets loaded with 1,000's exact keyword phrases.

Phrase to Broad Ratio

Postby philpaine » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:49 am

I have sorted through some of the BU keyword spreadsheets and copied a number of keywords with good traffic from one of the spreadsheets. I have then pasted these into the Market Samurai keyword analysis tool.

MS shows that the vast majority of the keywords have a phrase to Braod ratio (PBR) of <15, many are 0 - 3. Market Samurai advise ignoring keywords with a PBR < 15. Can you let me know - should I ignore the keywords with very low PBRs? (I don't pretend to understand the significance of PBR). I might add that generally the keywords with the highest search volume and lowest SEO competion had the lowest PBRs

Thanks
Phil
Phil Paine
"Bringing order from chaos" (of course, it is possible for the reverse to happen!)
And this is a plug for my blog - where you can find out about hemroid symptoms
philpaine
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 6:36 am

Re: Phrase to Broad Ratio

Postby admin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:05 pm

IGNORE "phrase match" and "Broad Match" and focus on data with exact match - the other data includes EXTRA WORDS in addition your exact phrase :oops:
Contribute your BLOG to the BU announcement blogs network!

It's easy! You can have BU members posting high quality content that will keep your blog FRESH and bring more traffic from more top rankings! DO IT! You'll be glad you did!

INSTRUCTIONS on how to add your blog to the BU NETWORK:

>>> http://www.bloggingunderground.com/add-blog-instructions.html <<<
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:50 am
Location: Laguna Beach, CA USA

Re: Phrase to Broad Ratio

Postby MasterMind » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:44 pm

philpaine wrote:I have sorted through some of the BU keyword spreadsheets and copied a number of keywords with good traffic from one of the spreadsheets. I have then pasted these into the Market Samurai keyword analysis tool.

MS shows that the vast majority of the keywords have a phrase to Braod ratio (PBR) of <15, many are 0 - 3. Market Samurai advise ignoring keywords with a PBR < 15. Can you let me know - should I ignore the keywords with very low PBRs? (I don't pretend to understand the significance of PBR). I might add that generally the keywords with the highest search volume and lowest SEO competion had the lowest PBRs

Thanks
Phil


Phrase to broda in MS is simply what percent of the people searching are using the search phrase. What matters here is the traffic and not the ratio. If there is enough traffic then it works. In general I ignore that one when using the spreadsheets keywords. Roughly it works out this way. If there are 100 searches and 85% are broad the other 15% should be phrase. Therefor phrase should only show 15% of the traffic that broad does.

Like I said, ignore it an look at the traffic.
User avatar
MasterMind
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:05 am

Re: Phrase to Broad Ratio (W/Market S...)

Postby ocdave005 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Your question in regards to the manner in which MS displays a "PBR" ratio, it is referring to you selecting the wrong domain when permutations are involved.

For example, here's a set of keywords (3 permutations) which have the same broad match(B), phrase match(P) - except one, and SEO Traffic:

1) "how much should you drink a day"; 12,100 (B), 140 (P), 5,082 SEOB: 1.157 PBR
2) "how much water you should drink a day"; 12,100 (B), 140 (P), 5,082 SEOB: 1.157 PBR
3) "how much water should you drink a day"; 12,100 (B), 140 (P), 5,082 SEOT: 44.62 PBR

So, if one just looks at broad/phrase match, and SEOT without looking at MS's PBR, they might just pick option 1 or/and 2, thinking that they found an untapped gold nugget. But the numbers are referring to #3. So the answers provided prior to mine are both right, but this explains things a little better for those using MS's features the way they explain their app.

Warm regards all! Dave

PS - It's also good to look at the competition column when doing your evaluation. The lower the competition, the less of a climb up the ladder to #1. Even though you will still do GREAT against high competition using the 12 step Pages not Blogs concept!
ocdave005
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:02 pm


Return to Keyword Research

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Search

User Menu

Grab a FREE PLR Zip!